Saturday, September 08, 2012

18th August

Today was just like any normal Saturday - it was nice to get up and go to the shops for a day of just normal being together as a family.  We did a fair bit of shopping for the BBQ tomorrow.

I patched this up with Boris - talked about the big misunderstanding and we're all good - I figured we would be - if we can't have a spat after 25 years of friendship and move past it - then it's not a solid friendship....just that distance makes it that much harder if I see him for only a couple of hours every couple of years... but we manage.

He came over in the late afternoon and we walked down to Luv Up at the harbour for a cold drink and an ice-cream... it's still stinking hot....not enjoying this at all!  The local bikie 'gang' (more of a club - they don't appear to be hardened crims or anything) were having their yearly gathering with loads of inter-country and even inter-country guests.  They seemed harmless enough but the song they were blaring out of the speakers was pretty funny.... sung in a death metal growl it translates almost exactly to, "I'm an alcoholic.  I'm gunna drink till I puke"  Those were pretty much the only lyrics....

Before dinner was organised this evening Hans George (Bakker) dropped by to invite us over for a BBQ (Grilling) - Mama and Papa said they had too much to do for tomorrow but encouraged me to go.  It was a really nice few hours - and I think it's the first time I've heard his dad (George) speak German instead of Platt - I always assumed he could - since most people can - but he's an elderly gent (and I wasn't really sure exactly how old - he's actually just had his 81st birthday) - but some of his generation can't , depending on their profession.  (For example - if they were employed locally - or a farmer maybe - they may not have needed to use their German - or maybe not even learn it).

After I came from the Bakkers we stayed out in the garden for another hour or so, gazing at the stars.. but peer (or rather parent) pressure led me astray and I got semi-sozzled on yummy white wine.

No comments: