Monday, January 08, 2018

7th January 2018

Had a late brunch with Maike today which was really nice.

Mama and Papa went to see Almuth (Mama’s sister) for her 80th birthday, but she has advanced Alzheimer’s and sadly didn’t really know what was going on.

We then went over to Bernd and Svenja’s for dinner - all manner of yummy goodness that they brought back from local farms in Austria.  Different sausages, cheeses, liverwurst...  amazingly good stuff.

But today is possibly the worst day of my life so far.  When I went up to bed I checked my phone and the world crumbled.  My wonderful, funny and so so sweet sister Anne passed away yesterday and I am beyond capable of putting into words just how gutted I am. She was smart and funny, and so passionate about the environment and then about advocating for ME/CFS, for research and proper treatment.  But the road ahead for Anne was nothing but increasing pain (which she was already in more than she could take), and no hope of any miracle cure as she was so sensitive to drugs, from trying everything and her body fighting all the way.  So even if a miracle drug was found - she couldn’t have taken it without nearly dying from adverse reaction.

So she chose to leave this world, on her terms, before the added pain and suffering drove her beyond sanity.

For Anne, I am so glad she is at peace, and out of pain.  For the rest of us, the world has changed forever, and not for the best.

Rest In Peace little sister - you will be loved and missed forever.

No comments: