Wednesday, April 26, 2006

ANZAC Day



It's the 25th now. While everyone back home is off work and either sleeping in or up for the Dawn Service, I'm now in the Czech Republic.

It's been nearly 2 years since Marketa and I saw each other last, and that is a very long time when you become sisters. But for the same reason, because that bond was almost instant and totally binding, it's almost like we saw each other yesterday. I have been very lucky with the sisters that have entered my life through the exchange process that way. Anne and I had the same kind of connection, even though we both had very busy lives at the time - but I guess sharing a bedroom helps then - because we always saw each other at least twice a day, no matter how busy we were. (Anne knows me well enough to make jokes of my nocturnal eating habits anyway)! :) . And I can't really say enough about Maike.

I usually forget with Anne that she is a little younger, since she's honestly so much smarter than I am and always gives great advice. With Marketa - since she was an almost an adult (and technically was) when she came to us - I noticed the age difference a bit - but not much. But Maike was just three when we entered each others lives. I always figured that she's never known a life without me being in it (which I can only hope makes her happy), but I have. And I know how much richer my life is for being someone's big sister. To be the big sister of someone so great is just such a gift.

We went into Hradec Kralove today, and climbed up White Tower, which is clock tower that was built in 1574-1596. The bell is the 2nd biggest bell in the Czech Republic and weighs almost 10 tonnes. I have included a photo of the Town Square I took from up there.

Tomorrow we are off to Prague (Praha) to see Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, Old Town Square and then on to Terezin (which most of us know under the German name of Theresientstadt). I am sure it will be a very emotional time, but something that it's probably a good idea for everyone too see at least once in their lives.

I will drop some photos and impression in here tomorrow night.

More then....

No comments: