Wednesday, September 19, 2012

23rd August - 2nd/last full day in Sweden

One of the very nicest things about staying with a retired couple is their approach to everything.......  If they have no reason to - they do not get up early... I really LIKE this attitude.  It's one I adopt on weekends - but especially like to on holidays.. I have not had a huge amount of opportunity for sleeping in though...  On the other hand - I'm having an amazing load of experiences - so it's been fantastic anyway.

Today is a lot more leisurely as we don't have as much to squeeze in.  We went to Gustavsberg where, for roughly 150 years porcelain has been made.  Apart from their beautiful porcelain for everything decorative and food related - they next biggest claim to fame was that they were one of the first producers of (then one of the longest producing) toilets.

The museum was staggering and they had little sections showing short films about how items were made - how much hand painting is STILL involved - they do not stamp-print anything.  Though the factory all but closed its doors in the 1990's - sold of piece by piece - some artisans have kept a small section going and holding to traditions.

After browsing all through the museum, we had lunch at the attached cafe and then back for another visit with Anne.

I am selfish enough to come and see Anne when I'm in Europe - but because of the effort it takes her to sit and talk for a couple of hours, on consecutive days - I make my visit only a couple of days long.  I know she would push herself further otherwise and I already fear she will pay for these precious few hours for far too long after I'm on to my next adventure.

This evening was very 21st Century.  Both Margareta and Thore have new (android) phones so I was trying to help them figure them out.. I got Margareta addicted to Fling (my work there was obviously done) - and Thore was figuring his out slowly.  I wasn't a great deal of help - only what I had figured out from my (android) tablet - but if they'd bought iPhones, I could have been a lot more helpful.

Tomorrow - it's a travelling day - off to the Czech Republic.......

No comments: