Sunday, April 29, 2007

Girls Night Out - dispair sets in - then, deep joy

So Friday night we had a girls' night out with a group of us from work. Where we had Dinner (The Elephant and Wheelbarrow) was a real experience. The food was good and well-priced and the service could not be faulted....(you just know there's a 'but' coming up).... when the place started filling the clientele became the entertainment. Seriously, I have been single by choice for the last 10 years and now I'm finally at a place where I would like to find someone to spend time with - but if that is an example of what's out there -I will definately be alone for ever. As the hours wore on, I just got more and more depressed about it. Talk about the freaks 'n' geeks show. We couldn't figure out if there was a bad taste party or something. I thought there was a Clash revival on in the downstairs area. It was appalling. What it really looked like was your typical bunch of (stereotypical) arts students, having to prove how individual they are. Nothing has changed since 'my day' when those minded students all worked so hard to be an individual - but they are all being an individual together!!! It's almost like 'anything goes' as far as clothing goes. You know - borrow your Nan's curtains and drape it around you, the uglier the better and the less suited to your body shape the outfit is, the better.

I think I was especially disturbed by the lack of effort on the men's parts. Jeans are no problem - who doesn't love jeans? But cammo cargo's and a very ordinary t-shirt??? And the lack of shaving, to me, just showed more and more that they couldn't be bothered making an effort.

After a few hours, we decided to try our luck elsewhere. None of us had been out and about in some time - so we thought we should scope out the area and see what else was on offer.

Walking through the Brunswick St Mall on a Friday night was entertaining too - like the club - only more 'of them' and worse. Suddenly I am feeling way too old.....

We went to a bar called Mustang (or The Mustang Bar - I'm not sure) - Jo had heard it was okay. And it was more than okay.

They played dance music from when I was last out dancing, just remixed slightly to bring it up to date. You could still recognise it and I was bummed that I had on shoes that I couldn't dance in. We will definatley be going back and I need to find some shoes that are comfy to dance in.

They had pool tables and no pool table sharks (you know the ones - they hog the tables and they'll only 'let' you have a table if you beat them off it first). Also - no people hanging around the tables putting shit on you if you're no good. We had a really good time and were bummed that we didn't go there earlier. Still - we know the place for next time and we will be back.

I think I almost got attempted to be picked up too - but I missed the opportunity. Nice enough looking guy - obviously had his beer goggles on - he was a little more than happy. We were outside waiting for K who wanted to pee before the drive home - and he smiled and made friendly comments on his way over to line up to get in. Apparently he was waving at me to get my attention as we walked past him to go - and I missed it. Crap - I could have at least had some flirt practice. Still, it's a nice ego boost to think that someone liked what he saw.... I guess it's a pretty good first step :)

Satruday morning brought it's own sweet surprise..... Scotty's home... I hadn't reckoned on that. I thought he had about another week to go yet. (I forgot to find out when he was due back - and only knew the date he's back at work)... doh!

So unfortunately I was leaving to go to a (mega-exciting) linen party, where I swore I wouldn't spend any money - then did. And then it went for way longer than I thought. After that I came home and crashed since I hadn't had much sleep. I sms'd him when I (finally) woke up - because I knew he hadn't slept much last night either - but he didn't reply - so I hope he's caught up on his sleep and we can sit down and have a long chat today, so I can get all the juicy details.....

No comments: