Thursday, September 25, 2008

Donna's visit - Dreamworld etc







Well, after a false start and much anticipation, Donna finally made it back to Bris-Vegas for her weekend getaway.

Naturally enough, there were plenty of people around to help celebrate. Friday was a quiet one, with lunch at work and a couple of drinks afterwards - but sookie-la-la here had to get home to get to sleep at a reasonable hour because Saturday was mega-huge and fun-packed. We went to Dreamworld. Now - despite the whole heights issue and despite the fact that we were pretty much almost crapping our pants - we stuck to our promise to each other and went on the Giant Drop first. Now - I'm not sure I could work out how many times I've been to Dreamworld. At a quick working out I think this was my 5th visit. In all that time, I have not braved the Giant Drop - despite watching it and shuddering - but still secretly being drawn to it. I always thought the problem for me would be the waiting (for a random length of time) all the way up there. Okay - so maybe I shouldn't have just ducked across to the Dreamworld site to check my facts. The ride is 39 stories high - doesn't sound so bad - how 'bout when you say it's 120m up that we free-fell from? You free fall for about 5 seconds. Now - what I will say about this ride is that in all the time I watched it, it looked kinda gentle (okay - so the physicists out there are pissing themselves right about now). The ride is not rough - how can it be? You drop (well, dah - the name does tell you that) - but the drop is so sudden, and so fast it's breath-taking. I had known from the many times I had watched it - that the mechanics of it do give you warning - there's 2 soft clicks right before you free fall. I was paying attention. But I didn't hear them - luckily Jason and Jo did and one of them said "here we go". Even now, as I write about it, nearly a full two weeks later , the most dominant feeling I have is "holy f&*k" and how soon can I get back on it????? We had such a full day, and the lines, while not horrendous, still put us at about a ride an hour - so we didn't get to go back on it. I can't speak for Donna, Jo and Jason (though I'm pretty sure they agreed) - it was a great day. We had fantastic weather - couldn't have asked for better. The Claw was back up and running (so I'm now over my disappointment that it was being serviced when Marketa and Roman were here). We got thoroughly drenched (not an exaggeration) on the log ride....and then much mirth occurred when we saw the photo - but that's a story for another time.

We had a suprise baby shower for Katrina on Sunday, which was good - but harder to enjoy since I was still tired from the day before and my tooth was giving me gip - no wonder - when I got home a corner finally snapped off (felt like it should all day) - and now it feels much better - though I suppose I should get my sorry arse to a dentist (hate them - every time I go, I feel like I'm being ripped off enormously).

No comments: