Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Dublin Day 1 Sunday the VERY long day - about 34 hours.....

Got what felt like a real (but gentle) grilling at customs.  I don’t remember ever being asked so many questions.  That old, retired Red Passport was a blessing in so many ways.  Damn you stupid people for voting for Brexit... If only I qualified for an Irish passport - but great-greats are too far back, sadly!  He was very nice and very professional - I guess I’ve just been spoilt by not being questioned at all.  He asked what I do for work - only afterwards did I realise that answering “nothing, since they made me redundant two weeks ago” could have been the wrong answer - but it seemed to clarify to him why I was on such a long holiday at least.  And maybe my total honesty was a bonus.  I don’t know - it wasn’t unpleasant by any means - I’ve had worse coming back into Australia!

Got a taxi to the hotel, and as we’re driving along, I was struck by how similar Europe really is to each other.  I could have just as easily been in northern Germany, with so little difference between them.  I’m guessing port cities would be like that though - the building designs would have travelled far easier between places trading and linked by trade.  Seeing the similarities and looking for the differences made the trip fun though.

Obviously there are small differences - but between the very similar buildings, the fog, rain and lower temperatures, I can honestly say I felt home again, even though I’ve never been here.  It was lovely - like the fog and cool temperatures embraced me and forgave me my long absence.

It was too early to check in - but I left my luggage there.  Steps, no lift - but the kind young man at reception lugged my heavy suitcase for me - bless him.

I left in pursuit of a proper winter coat.  Not needed here in Dublin - but I will need it for the next phase, for sure.  A lovely lady at Marks and Sparks helped me pick one out... I’m sure it will feature in photos in the future. Honestly - it’s like wearing an eiderdown - I think I could have a singlet on underneath and it will be warm enough in the Czech Republic.

My first impression of Dublin though - is where are all the Irish. (Working at CBRE Australia, a lot of them, is one answer) - but

Stopped at the local pub for a cream of cauliflower soup and then checked in.  As today was an extra I’d not counted in my head - it was set aside for the getting of the coat and figuring out how to transfer weight over to my hand luggage (I phone British Airways and the 23kgs hand luggage is totally correct)!  I just need to transfer about 5 or 6 - got that sorted and had a nice long shower to wash the plane off me... and went in search of some dinner and an early night to catch up on sleep!

No comments: